This is definitely one of those things you should make for more than 2 people. It's rich and gooey and delicious and almost a week since he made it, the two of us are still working on eating through that pan.
I'm usually like my cake, brownies and pizza cut from the middle of the pan. I don't know why, I guess I just like the soft middle of the cake better than the chewier outside crusts. This cake is a huge exception. Don't get me wrong, the middle's awesome too, but the caramel makes a delicious crust. Don't tell the family, my baking friends, the corners are the best part of this cake!
Aside from having delicious butterfingers on top (and seriously, if you don't like butterfingers, throw some snickers or M&M's on top, the candy doesn't really matter,) the caramel oozes through this cake without making it messy sticky, just tasty sticky. It reminds me of those pieces of pancake that get totally drenched with syrup, the cake holds up, but the caramel stands out.
You're going to love this cake. Make it this weekend!
Here's what you need:
Mix the cake mix according to the directions on the box.
While the cake is baking, mix together the condensed milk and caramel in a bowl.
When the cake is done and while still hot, poke holes in the cake. I used the end of a fondue fork to do this.
Pour the milk and caramel mixture over the cake and let cool completely.
Get your candy bars and crush them up in the package. When the cake has cooled sprinkle 2 crushed candy bars over the cake.
Spread cool whip over cake.
Sprinkle the rest of the candy bars on top and chill completely in the refrigerator.
- 1 box yellow cake mix, plus ingredients to make the cake
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 jar Smucker's caramel ice cream topping
- 1 (8oz) tub Cool-Whip
- 4 regular sized Butterfinger candy bars, crushed
- Eggs, Oil, and Water as directed on your cake mix
- Bake cake according to direction on the package.
- While cake is baking, mix milk and caramel topping until well blended.
- When the cake is done and while it's still hot, poke holes in it with a fork or straw. Pour milk mixture over the cake.
- Allow cake to cool completely.
- Crush candy bars and sprinkle two candy bars over cake.
- Spread Cool Whip over the top, then sprinkle the remaining candy bars on tip.
Serving Size 113 g