I came home from work today to find a snack waiting on the counter. I popped them in my mouth without asking what they were- which sometimes can be a household hazard here. Immediately I recognized the taste- cheese-its!
Lee keeps discovering that you can make a lot of grocery store junk at home... sometimes, like this time, it's better than what you can get out of the box. It seems to be the same amount of calories though... oh well.
These are fluffy and crunchy, but still have that yummy cheesy taste. On the plus size, they fill you up faster than box cheese-its, so you (hopefully) won't devour them all before YOUR significant other gets home from work.
Here's what you need:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine all ingredients except the water to a bowl or food processor.
- 1 cup flour
- 4 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small squares
- 1 (8-ounce) bag grated extra-sharp 2% Cheddar cheese (preferably orange)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine all ingredients in food processor or bowl. Mix until mixture get crumbly and is well combined.
- Add water 1 Tablespoon at a time until the mixture forms a pie dough consistency.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and put in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- When ready take dough and place between two sheets of parchment paper and roll out to 1/8 of an inch.
- With a pizza cutter trim to a square. (Cook the scraps for quality control testing.) Cut into 1 inch strips and then 1 inch squares.
- Poke small holes into the squares and sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Bake on parchment paper for 25 minutes. Let cool and enjoy!
Makes 8 servings
Calories 222 Calories from Fat 138
Total Fat 15.3g
Saturated Fat 9.7g
Total Carbohydrates 12.3g
Vitamin A 10% • Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 21% • Iron 5%