Actually, once it hit the table, it was pretty good! The peanuts that were mixed in with the chicken and rice noodles helped to mellow out the heat a little, my face was only a 2 alarm fire, much better than the 4 alarm I had anticipated.
For me, the star of this plate was the side dish. Those tomatos and cucumbers were my life savers! When the heat got to be too much, I'd switch over to those cool cucumbers or lush tomatos and enjoy a second of peace before diving back into the heat! Check that out too: http://leecooks.blogspot.com/2012/02/miso-sesame-cucumber-and-tomato-salad.html
Here's what you need:
Make the Rice Noodles as directed on the box and set aside if doing this first.
In a large skillet with olive oil, saute the onions for about 5 min's until soft, then add chicken strips and garlic cooking for about 10 - 12 minutes until chicken is done stirring often.
Once cooked, remove chicken mixture and place in a bowl and set aside.
Add more olive oil to the skillet and add your shredded cabbage and cook on med. high for about 5 minutes until cooked and a little crisp.
Add the pepper flakes and pepper sauce and cook for 1 more minute.
Add the chicken and onions back to the skillet along with the cooked rice noodles and soy sauce. Toss and cook for 2 minutes. Serve topped with peanuts and sliced green onions.
My side dish I served was Miso and Sesame Cucumber and Tomato Salad and can be found here:
Miso Sesame Cucumber and Tomato Salad
- 2 7 ounce boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 10 ounces of Cabbage
- 1 t teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 ounces cooked rice noodles
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- Cook rice noodles as directed on box.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick wok or skillet on medium high heat. Add onions and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add chicken and garlic and cook until chicken is fully done, about 7 minutes. Remove from skillet.
- Heat second tablespoon of oil in the same wok. Add cabbage and cook until tender and a bit crispy, about 5 minutes.
- Add pepper flakes and pepper sauce and heat another minute longer. Add chicken and veggies back to pot, along with the cooked rice noodles and soy sauce, and heat for another 2 minutes, or until mixture is fully combined.