For the past few years, we’ve shared half a cow with Margy’s family. While we’d had short ribs here and there before, last year was the first year that we really fell in love with short ribs. They fall apart like the flakiest of spare ribs, but pack the beefy meaty bite of stewed meat. We're still washing dishes after the New Year's Feast, so the slow cooker was exactly what we needed tonight.
This recipe highlights the meatiness and the green onion freshens up a very manly meal.
|Korean Short Ribs over rice. With toasted sesame seeds!|
Slow Cooked Korean Short Ribs
Inspired by How Stuff Works
4 pounds beef short ribs
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup beef broth or water
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
3 cups cooked rice
2 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted
- Place ribs in slow cooker. Combine green onions, tamari/soy, broth, brown sugar, ginger, garlic and pepper in medium bowl; mix well and pour over ribs. Cover; cook on LOW 7 to 8 hours or until ribs are fork tender.
- Remove ribs from cooking liquid. Cool slightly. Trim excess fat. Cut rib meat into bite-size pieces, discarding bones and fat.
- Let cooking liquid stand 5 minutes to allow fat to rise. Skim off fat.
- Stir sesame oil into liquid. Return beef to slow cooker. Cover; cook 15 to 30 minutes or until hot.
- Serve with rice; use a slotted spoon to pull beef out of slow cooker to avoid getting too much liquid. garnish with sesame seeds.
Serving Size 425 g
Amount Per Serving
Calories 995 Calories from Fat 270
Total Fat 30.0g
Saturated Fat 10.8g
Total Carbohydrates 77.7g
Dietary Fiber 1.7g
Vitamin A 1% • Vitamin C 2%
Calcium 9% • Iron 59%